Life, theology, tears, joys.

November 8, 2008

Federal Friday: The New Reagan Revolution

There is a lot of speculation as to what Obama will do, when he will do it, etc. There is also some speculation, particularly amongst evangelicals, quiet as it may be, concerning whether Obama's presidency will have any ties to the end-times prophesies found in Daniel, Matthew and Revelation.

I will deal with the latter first. Allow me to ask a question. Supposing, somehow, we were able to say absolutely and without any doubt that Obama is the antichrist (I am NOT suggesting this, please simply follow for a moment). How would we react? Would we not still fight those policies we disagree with that he presents and supports? Would we not still do all in our power to support those things that we believe must be supported? So, in fact, it really doesn't matter if he is, isn't, is going to be, et cetera the antichrist? Therefore, isn't it simply a distraction from more important issues, a distraction that we needn't deal with?

The end times are a very interesting and worthy study. However, trying to fit current events into them beyond simple speculation and curiosity seems to me to be a loss of the point.

Now, as to what, when and how Obama will do what he does. Yes, there are many fights ahead of us. There are many things to be dealt with. Yes, strategies are good things, and yes, we must be prepared to deal with them. However, we simply must not go overboard in trying to win every single battle before those battles are even begun. Here's something to chew on: Obama can't do everything at once either, and we will match his pace.

I, obviously, love politics, and I think them terribly important. I do think that many of the values I hold dear are at stake. Only a few years ago, I would have been truly concerned, somewhat frantic, and planning to build a bomb shelter in the basement until my parents talked me out of it, if this situation had happened then. However, I must say that I am not really all that frantic or overwrought. Concerned, yes. Ready to fight, yes. But, I think we simply must take measured steps. This DOES NOT mean standing down. I actually think that it means fighting even BETTER.

Here is what I am suggesting. Deal with the NOW. Simple as that. Once inaugurated, Obama has promised that one of the first things he will do is repeal DOMA (the Defence Of Marriage Act). Let's deal with that battle when it comes. If he next tries to pull out of Iraq, let's deal with that when it comes. When he tries to allow all abortion, all the time, for any reason, we will deal with that when it comes. Let's truly deal with it, but let's not overstep ourselves.

Here's a great way to accomplish this. Michael Reagan, Ronald Reagan's son, has launched a new website, http://www.reaganaction.com/. It is not yet fully functional, but it is supposed to be sometime next week. I would suggest that you read what he has to say.

What he is trying to accomplish through the site is to spread a daily action piece, usually taking only a few minutes, to inundate Congress and the White House with calls, faxes, emails etc, telling them what we think, and turning us, the "masses", all into political activists. I see this as an excellent way to deal with each battle as it comes, and REALLY deal with it.

Now, of course, I don't know how the site will work precisely, but the idea is what I like. This is how we all can and must deal with the next four years. We mustn't get weary, we mustn't lose our fighting spirit (if you don't have one just now, go read the page that's up on Reagan Action) and we must start the New Reagan Revolution!

No comments: