Life, theology, tears, joys.

December 2, 2007

Christmas Music - Very Fun[ny]

I love Christmas in general. I like the decorating (especially my town setup), I really enjoy the family time, and I'll freely say that I like the gift giving and recieving. And, as is to be expected, I really love Christmas music! The traditional carols, (my fav being "I heard the bells on Christmas Day" and "God rest ye merry gentlemen"), the old-time favorites (like "White Christmas", "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow", and my fav, "Sleigh Ride") etc are all part of Christmas for me.

Here's something I started to discover over the past one or two years... there are HILARIOUS original, spoof and just generally goofy songs for Christmas!!

Here's a semi-classic: the version I've heard was voiced by a Gala something-or-other, the kid really has a nice voice, but it's sorta nasalish, which realy fits the song well. Enjoy!

Words and Music by John Rox
I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
Don't want a doll, no dinky Tinker Toy
I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
He won't have to use our dirty chimney flue
Just bring him through the front door,
that's the easy thing to do

I can see me now on Christmas morning,
creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise
when I open up my eyes
to see a hippo hero standing there

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles, no rhinoceroses
I only like hippopotamuses
And hippopotamuses like me too

Mom says the hippo would eat me up, but then
Teacher says a hippo is a vegeterian.
(Short Music Interlude)
There's lots of room for him in our two-car garage
I'd feed him there and wash him there and give him his massage

I can see me now on Christmas morning,
creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy and what surprise
when I open up my eyes
to see a hippo hero standing there

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles or rhinoceroseses
I only like hippopotamuseses
And hippopotamuses like me too!

3 comments:

readersis said...

so what Christmas song is that a spoof of? I can't figure it out....

the.joyful.one said...

it isn't a spoof, it's one of the "original" songs I mentioned. it has it's own tune and everything, I just thought it was SO funny! It's way better if you hear it.

readersis said...

ooooh, got it! Yeah, songs are usually better intact - with both lyrics and tune.